This article is shared with permission from our friends at PaleoHacks.
Swap tortilla chips for crisp bacon chips and dip in rich guacamole till your heart’s content!
Looking for a fun twist on chips and dip? Ditch the ho-hum chips, and crisp up some bacon instead! This no-brainer of a snack will make you wonder why you haven’t tried it sooner. It’s the perfect recipe for game-day entertaining or as a movie-watching munchie.
The most important component to a successful bacon chip is using thick cut bacon, from quality-sourced pork, to ensure that it can hold up to dipping without crumbling. You’ll be dipping these into a chunky batch of fresh guacamole that gets a spicy kick from jalapeño, a hint of smoke from cumin, and fresh cilantro to brighten it up.
Start by slicing the bacon strips into 2-3 inch pieces, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to keep the bacon from sticking. Bake for 20 minutes or until the bacon is cooked through. Use tongs to place the bacon on a plate to crisp up. In the meantime, mash avocado with a fork and stir in red onion, cumin, jalapeño, cilantro and sea salt. Serve right away.
Bacon “Chips” and Thick Guacamole Dip
Recipe by: Jennafer Ashley
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Preparation time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Small bowl
- 8-10 strips thick cut pasture-raised bacon
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice each bacon strip into 2-3 inch pieces and lay on the baking sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the bacon to crisp up on a plate.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mash the avocados. Stir in the red onion, jalapeño, ground cumin and sea salt.
- Serve bacon chips alongside the guacamole dip.